Giants star Odell Beckham says he won’t play in the preseason

Giants star Odell Beckham says he won’t play in the preseason

Odell Beckham Jr. says he won’t play a single snap in the 2018 preseason.

A Giants fan named Stan Hardter @stanbryan81 tweeted at Beckham on Friday night: “Zero preseason snaps please.” And Beckham answered Saturday morning with a short but clear tweet:

“0,” Beckham replied from his @OBJ_3 account.

So was this a promise or a threat? It’s hard to believe this been endorsed by the team this early. And if it had been, wouldn’t the Giants be announcing it, not OBJ himself?

Beckham obviously has good reason to avoid the preseason. Last Aug. 21, he suffered a brutal high left ankle sprain on a dangerous low hit by Browns safety Briean Boddy-Calhoun in the second quarter of a Monday Night Football preseason game in Cleveland. The injury sidelined Beckham for the Giants’ season-opening loss in Dallas, and he eventually broke the same ankle in a Week 5 home loss to the L.A. Chargers.

Still, it’s unlikely Beckham and new head coach Pat Shurmur already have discussed Beckham sitting out the preseason, mid-rehab for Beckham and mid-negotiation for the Giants and Beckham’s agent on a contract extension. Even if they did, presumably Shurmur would not want Beckham airing organizational plans for the world to see.

New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham (13) walks off the field after a preseason NFL football game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Friday, Aug. 11, 2017, in East Rutherford, N.J. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham (13) walks off the field after a preseason NFL football game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Friday, Aug. 11, 2017, in East Rutherford, N.J. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

(Julio Cortez/AP)

And more importantly, if the Giants and Beckham’s agent don’t agree to a long-term contract extension this offseason, Beckham could hold out — and would be warranted in doing so — entering the fifth and final year of his rookie contract. So his statement that he won’t play in the preseason has to be considered a possible threat within that narrative, a line drawn in the sand of who dictates terms when it comes to OBJ’s career.

On top of all that, team president John Mara stressed when Shurmur was hired that Beckham needed to speak with the new coach about “how we’re gonna act.” Their meeting went well by all accounts, but is publicly announcing playing time plans on Twitter within Shurmur’s new code of Giant ethics? I wouldn’t think so.

Beckham, 25, also is coming off ankle surgery, so the Giants of course at some point are going to want to see him prove he can play at full strength. That’s not saying they have to put him in harm’s way in a preseason game necessarily, but they certainly wouldn’t seem to be in a position to guarantee him anything in the way of playing time at this point, when new GM Dave Gettleman is only just getting started in his roster reconstruction.

Anyway, buckle up. If Beckham is now publicly dictating terms on his playing time, then this could become the first public shot fired in negotiations not only on a new contract but on how Beckham will behave once he signs one.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet
BullyGate's Jonathan Martin detained after threatening gun post

BullyGate's Jonathan Martin detained after threatening gun post

Former NFL offensive tackle Jonathan Martin — harassed by multiple Dolphin teammates during the infamous BullyGate scandal in 2013 — was detained by police after sharing a threatening Instagram story that pictured a shotgun with shells and named former teammates, the team and his high school, prompting his alma mater to shut down Friday.

“When you’re a bully victim & a coward, your options are suicide, or revenge,” the post reads, according to a screengrab of the Instagram story from his private account.

The social media handles for Bills guard Richie Incognito and Dolphins center Mike Pouncey — who were both found to have harassed Martin in an investigation — are named in the post, along with two of his former Harvard-Westlake High School classmates.

Martin, who has not been arrested but is being questioned by cops in Los Angeles, reportedly graduated from the school in 2008.

Instagram story by Jonathan Martin, who spent three seasons in the NFL, prompts his alma mater to shut down Friday.

Instagram story by Jonathan Martin, who spent three seasons in the NFL, prompts his alma mater to shut down Friday.

(David J. Phillip/AP)

“The individual we believe responsible for the social media post in question has been detained and our investigation is ongoing,” the Los Angeles Police Department said in a statement.

In response to the Instagram story, Harvard-Westlake closed both of its campuses in Studio City and Beverly Crest, Calif. on Friday, though the LAPD had said there was “no credible threat” against the school.

Harvard-Westlake issued a statement Friday:

“Last evening, we learned an Internet post that mentions Harvard-Westlake by name. Out of an abundance of caution, and because the safety of our students, faculty, and our staff is our top priority, we made the decision to close school today. We are working closely with law enforcement and will share more information when we are available.”

The incident comes a little over two weeks after 17 students and staff were shot to death at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. There has been a spate of school shooting threats across the country, prompting closures, since the Feb. 14 murders.

Martin, who previously revealed he tried to commit suicide multiple times while in the NFL, was the victim in a bullying scandal that rocked the league. NFL commisioner Roger Goodell hired New York attorney Ted Wells to look into shocking claims of locker room abuse in Miami. The investigation found that the offensive tackle was subjected to “a pattern of harassment” by Incognito, Pouncey and current Giants guard John Jerry. 

Martin spent three seasons in the NFL, playing for the Dolphins before leaving the team in October 2013. The following March, he was traded to the San Francisco, where he played one season. Martin retired after the 2014-15 season.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet
Former Jets great David Harris retiring after 11 seasons

Former Jets great David Harris retiring after 11 seasons

The Hit Man is calling it a career.

Former Jets great David Harris announced his retirement Friday after 11 seasons. The man of few words predictably kept his farewell remarks short and sweet: “After 11 years of having played the greatest team sport at its highest level, it’s now time for me to announce my retirement from the NFL,” the 34-year-old Harris said in a statement released by his agency Sportstars New York.

Harris, the anchor in the middle of the Jets defense for 10 years, deserves a place in the team’s Ring of Honor. He was a reliable defensive presence for four Jets coaches, a no-nonsense leader who ultimately finished as the franchise’s second-leading tackler (708). The middle linebacker played 160 games for Gang Green and missed a grand total of six games during his 10-year Jets career. He was the heartbeat of Rex Ryan’s teams that went to back-to-back AFC Championship Games in 2009 and 2010.

David Harris played 10 seasons with Gang Green.

David Harris played 10 seasons with Gang Green.

(Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)

“It was time,” agent Brian Mackler told the Daily News about Harris’ decision to retire. “It’s been truly one of the greatest pleasures in my career working with David and (wife) Jiali for more than a decade. He’s been a class act. I’m glad he’s part of my family. We’re looking forward to the next chapter.”

Harris, a second-round pick in 2007, earned second-team All-Pro honors in 2009. He was unceremoniously released last June before signing with the Patriots. Harris appeared in 10 games with New England, but was inactive during the team’s playoff run.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet
BullyGate's Martin taken into custody after threatening post

BullyGate's Martin taken into custody after threatening post

Former NFL offensive tackle Jonathan Martin — harassed by multiple Dolphin teammates during the infamous BullyGate scandal in 2013 — was reportedly taken into custody after sharing a threatening Instagram story that pictured a shotgun with shells and named former teammates, the team and his high school, prompting his alma mater to shut down Friday.

“When you’re a bully victim & a coward, your options are suicide, or revenge,” the post reads, according to a screengrab from the Instagram story.

The social media handles for Bills guard Richie Incognito and Dolphins center Mike Pouncey — who were both found to have harassed Martin in an investigation — are named in the post, along with two of his former Harvard-Westlake High School classmates.

Martin, who was taken into custody, according to ABC, reportedly graduated from the school in 2008.

Instagram story by Jonathan Martin, who spent three seasons in the NFL, prompts his alma mater to shut down Friday.

Instagram story by Jonathan Martin, who spent three seasons in the NFL, prompts his alma mater to shut down Friday.

(David J. Phillip/AP)

In response to the Instagram story, Harvard-Westlake closed both of its campuses in Studio City and Beverly Crest, Calif. on Friday, though the Los Angeles Police Department said there was “no credible threat” against the school.

Harvard-Westlake issued a statement Friday:

“Last evening, we learned an Internet post that mentions Harvard-Westlake by name. Out of an abundance of caution, and because the safety of our students, faculty, and our staff is our top priority, we made the decision to close school today. We are working closely with law enforcement and will share more information when we are available.”

The incident comes a little over two weeks after 17 students and staff were shot to death at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. There has been a spate of school shooting threats across the country, prompting closures, since the Feb. 14 murders.

Martin, who previously revealed he tried to commit suicide multiple times while in the NFL, was the victim in a bullying scandal that rocked the league. The Ted Wells investigation found that the offensive tackle was subjected to “a pattern of harassment” by Incognito, Pouncey and current Giants guard John Jerry. 

Martin spent three seasons in the NFL, playing for the Dolphins, before being traded to the San Francisco, where he played one season. He retired after the 2014-15 season.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet
Threatening post by NFL BullyGate's Martin prompts HS to close

Threatening post by NFL BullyGate's Martin prompts HS to close

Former NFL offensive tackle Jonathan Martin — harassed by multiple Dolphin teammates during the infamous BullyGate scandal in 2013 — reportedly shared a threatening Instagram story that pictured a shotgun with shells and named former teammates, the team and his high school, prompting his alma mater to shut down Friday.

“When you’re a bully victim & a coward, your options are suicide, or revenge,” a written note says, according to a screengrab from the Instagram story.

The social media handles for Bills guard Richie Incognito and Dolphins center Mike Pouncey — who were both found to have harassed Martin in an investigation — are named in the post, along with two of his former Harvard-Westlake High School classmates.

Martin reportedly graduated from the school in 2008.

Instagram story by Jonathan Martin, who spent three seasons in the NFL, prompts his alma mater to shut down Friday.

Instagram story by Jonathan Martin, who spent three seasons in the NFL, prompts his alma mater to shut down Friday.

(David J. Phillip/AP)

In response to the Instagram story, Harvard-Westlake closed both of its campuses in Studio City and Beverly Crest, Calif. on Friday, though the Los Angeles Police Department said there was “no credible threat” against the school.

Harvard-Westlake issued a statement Friday:

“Last evening, we learned an Internet post that mentions Harvard-Westlake by name. Out of an abundance of caution, and because the safety of our students, faculty, and our staff is our top priority, we made the decision to close school today. We are working closely with law enforcement and will share more information when we are available.”

The incident comes a little over two weeks after 17 students and staff were shot to death at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. There has been a spate of school shooting threats across the country, prompting closures, since the Feb. 14 murders.

Martin, who previously revealed he tried to commit suicide multiple times while in the NFL, was the victim in a bullying scandal that rocked the league. The Ted Wells investigation found that the offensive tackle was subjected to “a pattern of harassment” by Incognito, Pouncey and current Giants guard John Jerry. 

Martin spent three seasons in the NFL, playing for the Dolphins, before being traded to the San Francisco, where he played one season. He retired after the 2014-15 season.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet
Charles ‘Peanut’ Tillman is now an FBI agent: report

Charles ‘Peanut’ Tillman is now an FBI agent: report

Charles “Peanut” Tillman has made the jump from the NFL to the FBI.

The longtime Chicago Bears cornerback has reportedly been accepted into the FBI after graduating from the FBI Training Academy in Quantico, Va. A source told Sporting News the 37-year-old is “currently working for the FBI. (He) has his badge and everything.”

News of Tillman’s FBI pursuits spread in September 2017 when the Chicago Tribune reported he had started training to join the bureau.

To become an agent, recruits have to be at least 23-years-old, but younger than 37. Tillman turned 37 Friday.

Charles Tillman played in the NFL for 13 years before retiring in 2015.

(Stephen Morton/AP)

A source told Sporting News in 2017 there likely wouldn’t be a big announcement from the FBI if the ex-corner succeeded. The FBI said the bureau does not comment on personal matters.

However, retired U.S. Marshal Kim Widup told Sporting News the FBI could use Tillman to get more people to join the agency.

“They will try to get him to fade to anonymity as much as they can,” Widup said. “But I think at some point the FBI will also use it as part of their recruiting policy, as in, ‘Look who we got.'”

013115110327, 10101156,

Charles Tillman reportedly graduated from the FBI Training Academy in Quantico, Va. and is now an agent.

(Jordan Strauss/Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)

Before making a name for himself in the NFL, Tillman earned a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice from the University of Louisiana-Lafayette. The Bears later went on to draft the corner in the second round of the NFL Draft in 2003.

Tillman spent 13 years in the NFL playing for the Bears and Panthers before retiring in 2015. He was known throughout the league for his “Peanut Punch,” which caused him to force fumbles on defense.

Tags:
fbi
nfl
charles tillman
nfl draft

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet