Arise, slumbering humans, for it is the day of the sun and the Mariners have the chance to salvage a series win. To get ready for that, here’s the news of the day, or at least everything important. We would also be remiss if we didn’t thank everyone who came out for Team Lookout Landing to the Refuse to Abuse 5K yesterday at Safeco Field, which was an absolute blast with our team of nearly 30 participants!
Additionally, Baseball Prospectus Night at Safeco featuring former and current staff galore was a delight, so if you made it out there, we appreciate you. The world of online publishing is one without many glamorous (or paid) moments so nights like that are both gratifying and surreal for those who participate. We hope to see you all for similar events soon.
In Mariners news…
- Hark, a trade rumor! I would file this as 2% more likely to occur than the rumored Jay Bruce interest from this offseason, which is to say due diligence being done.
Hearing Seattle has expressed interest in Asdrubal Cabrera. Makes sense since Cano can’t play in the postseason.
— Matt Ehalt (@MattEhalt) July 21, 2018
- Jerry Dipoto emphasized pitching, and strong middle/long relief pitching, as a likely target at the deadline when asked at the Baseball Prospectus panel before yesterday’s game.
- INF Beau Branton, Seattle’s 28th round pick in this year’s draft out of Stanford, is being promoted from Everett to Modesto for this weekend at least.
- Speaking of promotions, in case you missed it yesterday, OF Braden Bishop sadly has a broken hand caused by an HBP. His injury led Seattle to call up top prospect Kyle Lewis to AA-Arkansas. He got a scary greeting in his first game.
Thankfully, Lewis was unfazed, and went 2-for-3 on the night with a BB in addition to the HBP above in his Double-A debut!
- In other minors news, rehabbing catcher Mike Zunino went 1-for-3 with a sac fly in Tacoma.
- The Mariners appear to recognize the need for an offense spark. This… is not what my first solution would be.
Walked in to the clubhouse after the game saw a collection of bats in a laundry basket with a sign that said “bat charging station”
Mariners looking for the bats to get recharged after losing 5-0 to the Sox.
— Jen Mueller (@JenTalksSports) July 22, 2018
Around the League/Bundesliga…
An American reporter asked Borussia Dortmund manager Lucien Favre “Talk about Christian Pulisic” and apparently they don’t do “talk about” in Germany because it brought the entire Dortmund PR/translation outfit to a total standstill for almost a minute
— Michael Baumann (@MJ_Baumann) July 21, 2018
- It’s Sunday, life can be tough. You deserve a joyful song. You deserve a win.