Canadian ski cross racer Chris Del Bosco takes terrifying tumble

Canadian ski cross racer Chris Del Bosco takes terrifying tumble

Canadian ski cross medal hopeful Chris Del Bosco suffered a suspected broken pelvis in a terrifying, high-flying crash Wednesday at the Olympic Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

Canada's Christopher Del Bosco (r.) loses his balance and ends up crashing on his back.

Canada’s Christopher Del Bosco (r.) loses his balance and ends up crashing on his back.

(LOIC VENANCE/AFP/Getty Images)

Del Bosco, a 35-year-old American-born skier who won the gold medal at the 2011 World Championships, lost his balance as he hit one of the final jumps in his ski cross heat. He immediately started flipping backwards, unable to gain control, and his skis rotated above his head. He landed viciously on the downslope of the jump before tumbling forward.

A Canadian public relations official initially said Del Bosco had suffered a broken pelvis. But the team later clarified that it wanted to wait for further evaluation before releasing a diagnosis.

Medical personnel attended to Del Bosco on the course for nearly 10 minutes, according to reports, before he was stretchered down. He reportedly waved to crowd as the snow mobile pulled him down the remainder of the course.

Lindsey Vonn acknowledges Olympic glory is behind her

Chris Del Bosco was stretchered off the course after suffering what could be a broken pelvis.

Chris Del Bosco was stretchered off the course after suffering what could be a broken pelvis.

(LOIC VENANCE/AFP/Getty Images)

Del Bosco, who struggled with substance abuse earlier in his career, resides in Montreal.

Tags:
olympics
pyeongchang olympics 2018
canada
chris del bosco
sports injuries
skiing

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet
Eagles' Jeffery played with torn rotator cuff for entire season

Eagles' Jeffery played with torn rotator cuff for entire season

Alshon Jeffery led the Eagles receivers this past season with 120 catches for 789 yards and nine touchdowns. He parlayed his success into a four-year, $52 million contract extension in December before hauling in 12 catches for 219 yards and three touchdowns during Philadelphia’s postseason run, including 73 yards and a score in a Super Bowl victory over the Pats.

And apparently he did it all with a torn rotator cuff.

Alshon Jeffery led the Super Bowl champion Eagles with 120 catches, despite playing with a torn rotator cuff.

Alshon Jeffery led the Super Bowl champion Eagles with 120 catches, despite playing with a torn rotator cuff.

(Patrick Semansky/AP)

Jeffery underwent surgery Wednesday to repair the injury to his right shoulder, which he suffered during training camp, according to multiple reports.

A source told the Philadelphia Daily News that Jefferey is expected to be ready for the regular season, but he could come back during the 2018 preseason if rehab progresses smoothly. Jefferey did not deal with any “significant discomfort” during the season or postseason, the Philly Daily News reports.

Eagles promote WRs coach Mike Groh to offensive coordinator

Tom Brady reacts to the Patriots losing Super Bowl LII to the Eagles, 41-33.

Philadelphia Eagles vs. New England Patriots at U.S. Bank Stadium

Jefferey signed a one-year deal with the Eagles last offseason.

Tags:
nfl
sports injuries
alshon jeffery
philadelphia eagles

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet
Astros' top pitching prospect suspended for violating drug policy

Astros' top pitching prospect suspended for violating drug policy

Astros pitching prospect Forrest Whitley has been suspended 50 games without pay for violating the minor-league drug policy, the commissioner’s office announced Wednesday.

Whitley, 20, is considered the top pitching prospect in the game, and MLB ranks him as the No. 9 overall prospect in baseball. He posted a 2.83 ERA in 18 starts for Single-A, High-A and Double-A last season.

A source told FOX San Antonio that Whitley was “out of state as a fan” to watch a college baseball game, and a friend gave him an “unknown stimulant” to help keep him awake for a long ride home. The TV station also reports that Whitley has hired an attorney to challenge MLB’s ruling.

Not Released (NR)

Forrest Whitley is considered the top pitching prospect in baseball.

(Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Whitley, a first-round pick in the 2016 draft out of Alamo Heights High School, will be eligible to return to the field in late May.

The Daily News’ John Harper reported in January that the Pirates were interested in Whitley as part of a potential deal for ace Gerrit Cole, but the Astros were not willing to part ways with the young righthander. Of course, Houston still completed the deal for Cole with a package that did not include Whitley — or outfield prospect Kyle Tucker, who MLB ranks as the No. 17 overall prospect in baseball.

Tags:
mlb
houston astros
minor league baseball

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet
Knicks sign ex-Rocket Troy Williams to 10-day contract

Knicks sign ex-Rocket Troy Williams to 10-day contract

The Knicks have added another young and athletic player as they prepare to enter the full-fledged development phase of this rebuilding season.

Former Rocket Troy Williams has signed a 10-day contract with the Knicks, the team announced Wednesday. Williams, a 23-year-old former undrafted free agent out of Indiana, is 6-foot-7 and won the D-League slam dunk contest last season.

“We’ve got some young guys we want to get out there and have them play,” coach Jeff Hornacek said Tuesday night at the Knicks’ first practice following the All-Star break.

Williams played 30 games for the Grizzlies and Rockets in 2016-17, averaging 6.2 points and 2.3 rebounds in 18.6 minutes. But he only saw action in four NBA games for Houston this season. He averaged 19.8 points in 19 games this year for the Rockets’ G-League affiliate, the Rio Grange Valley Vipers.

Not Released (NR)

Troy Williams is heading to the Knicks.

(Rocky Widner/NBAE/Getty Images)

Williams joins a growing group of young Knicks who will garner more playing time over the team’s final 23 games.

Point guards Frank Ntilikina, Emmanuel Mudiay and Trey Burke will all play more significant minutes, Hornacek said Tuesday night. Two-way players Isaiah Hicks and Luke Kornet will also take on larger roles in the rotation, as the Knicks are no longer in playoff contention. 

Tags:
nba
nba transactions
new york knicks

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet
Jeff Hornacek doesn’t expect Joakim Noah to return to Knicks

Jeff Hornacek doesn’t expect Joakim Noah to return to Knicks

Jeff Hornacek does not expect Joakim Noah to return to the Knicks this year.

Noah, who signed a four-year, $72 million contract before the 2016-17 season, was exiled by the team last month after a getting into an altercation with Hornacek at practice.

“We’ve handled that thing with Jo,” Hornacek said Tuesday night, as the Knicks returned to practice after the All-Star break. “It’s not finalized obviously because he’s still on the roster. But we dealt with that situation, and there’s really nothing more to say about it or update it. We’ve moved on. I think he’s ready to move on and maybe have an opportunity somewhere else. …That’s kind of an old story and all done with, as far as I’m concerned.”

When asked if the plan is for Noah to remain banished, Hornacek said, “I think that is the plan.”

He backtracked when a reporter tried to clarify if that meant for the rest of the season. The Knicks have 23 games remaining.

“(Team president) Steve (Mills) and (general manager) Scott (Petty) will have to handle that,” Hornacek said. “But that’s where we’re at now with our team, with our young guys, and they’re going to be on the ones playing.”

Joakin Noah signed a four-year, $72 million contract before the 2016-17 season.

Joakin Noah signed a four-year, $72 million contract before the 2016-17 season.

(Brock Williams-Smith/NBAE/Getty Images)

The Daily News reported over the weekend that, while no punches were thrown in the practice scuffle, Hornacek was the first to shove Noah before the two were separated.

Hornacek would not address the allegations.

“I’m not going to comment on any of that stuff, any stories that are out there,” he said.

At the All-Star Game this past weekend in Los Angeles, Jimmy Butler said Noah “wants to play.” Butler and Noah played together for five season in Chicago.

“He wants to help win. He’s a great dude,” Butler said. “I talked to him a little bit, not a lot. All in all, I want him to be happy. Because you can’t go to work every day, being with the same people every day, if you’re not happy. That’s not good for anybody.”

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet